Welcome to the retro-themed class blog of 05S70! Undoubtedly the most full of enthusiasm, spirit and verve! C'mon feel the groove and shake your body with us!

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Lit stuff - Bananas and poetry!

hey guys! just some lit stuff to take note of here.

But first up here's the amusing poem by Wendy Cope we looked at during pract. crit. on wednesday:

The Uncertainty of the Poet

I am a poet.
I am very fond of bananas.

I am bananas.
I am very fond of a poet.

I am a poet of bananas.
I am very fond.

A fond poet of 'I am, I am'-
Very bananas.

Fond of 'Am I bananas?
Am I?'-a very poet.

Bananas of a poet!
Am I fond? Am I very?

Poet bananas! I am.
I am fond of a 'very.'

I am of very fond bananas.
Am I a poet?

heehee.
okay but on to admin stuff - i've collected Jane Eyre and there are some copies on the class bench still unretrieved..pls collect them tmr and pass me $12 for the book. There'll be the Jane Eyre quiz on monday during tutorial i should think..so do read up the first 4 chapters. I think the cover's pretty ugly though.

And now it's time for an advertisement! For the second intakers, if you guys like lit and don't mind taking it as a subject i think it should be pretty easy to switch combinations early now if you'd like - we'd more than welcome you! Bio Chem Math Lit wasn't an official combination listed down in the subject list so only 70 has the *privilege* (nah kidding) of BCML! heh if you wanna have a taste of what lit tutorials/lectures/pract crit lessons feel like i think u could pop down and attend a session or two next week (not too late though or things will gather momentum). Do take lit!!! It trains your other more intangible faculties.

Just some info about lit so far:
This year we're gonna do the Gothic paper while Shakespeare & Other authors come next year. This might not be a fully accurate summary, but the Gothic tradition involves darker elements of the human psyche - such as repressed emotions, hidden histories returning to haunt a person, disturbing alteregos, violation of natural/religious law - and draw in a lot of dark symbols and situations all meant to PROVOKE UNEASE. Our texts this year include Frankenstein, Jane Eyre and Hotel De Dream..pretty old texts so you might be slightly not used to the language at first but undoubtedly they are pretty stimulating. So if you wish to explore your inner subconscious mind/spirit and take a step into taboo/unspeakable/supernatural elements you could take lit this year. Or if you simply want to sharpen your mind into thinking a lot more critically in the grey aspects :) DO TAKE LIT IF YOU LIKE IT! Essay skills can be worked out.

Of course, if there's anything you'd like to ask i'm sure all the lit people will be glad to give some help or opinion.

And one more thing..thanks guys for cheering bazhang! on today during the nominees' introduction. you rock!

and remember to keep your cans! (uncrushed.) and oh yes. all second intakers PLS DO BLOG OFTEN HERE AS WELL! let's get to know each other better. after we've changed into the HC uniform i shd think we could all take the Retro Shots once again for the People section and bring this place back to new life.

GO 05S70.

1 Comments:

Blogger calvin said...

I can't agree with Xun Yu more...I really feel that taking Lit together with Bio Chem and Math is a very "harmonious" combination, you have a bit of everything and your mind is trained to think in all different ways. (for e.g. today in lit lecture, we were talking about disturbing ualities in ourselves that we are unable to confront and we try to project them onto a double or dopplegonger who comes back to haunt us...then immediately in the next lesson for bio lect, you start labelling diagrams on cell membrane!)

ALSO, A REALLY BIG THANK YOU FOR CHEERING SO LOUDLY AT THE COUNCIL NOMINEES INTRODUCTION. And yes, even a shout of "yes!" during our speech (eddie :p) help us tremendously. If you'd like a copy of the bazhang! video, please let me know ^^;

Yup, we need to get things hyped up here again...with the inter JC blog competition coming up!

8:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home